Comments & issues
Pepsikid51
Fresh meat

Phidget 1012 Built-in LED's

Post by Pepsikid51 »

PitOpsOverview2.png
Drawing
(4.97 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I’m using a Phidget 1012_02 board. Currently Digital In Pins #11, #12, #13 and #14 are being used on the receiver side of a Light sensing circuit that changes the Pin state to HIGH when the beam of light is blocked (each Pin is isolated to separate circuits). The main software program reacts to the pin state change and runs a corresponding routine that includes turning a indicator LED on via a Digital Out Pin (#1, #2, #3 and #4).
The software is a Slot Car Timing program that works flawlessly as written allowing 1/1000 sec timing. The above routine (Pit Stop) however is designed to trigger only after a 500ms delay (light beam blocked ½ sec.), which is not a problem, but it is critical to know if the Car is in the pit area, vice waiting the ½ sec to realize it is or is not.
SCENARIO: When a Car enters the Pit Area (sensor light beam blocked); 1) it changes the Pin state to HIGH (instantly) but no visual activity is displayed, other than Phidget Led for that Pin goes green; 2) The Pit activity (refueling) does not begin until the beam is blocked for ½ second at which point a graphic is displayed on the monitor by the software.
I cannot modify the software program (copyright), but can I use the generated signal on the In Pin to light a separate LED indicator, in addition to calling the routine in the software?
Logic says yes, because the SIGNAL is in the form of a voltage change (approx. 5v) to the pin from the LOW state (Open sensor circuit) to HIGH (Closed sensor circuit). Best I can deduce, or reason is the Phidget In Pin has a (Green) LED connected to it in-line as a visual indicator. However, the Phidget board’s location is under the track and not readable seen… So, can this signal on the In Pin be used (Split, Modified, Duplicated) to add a remote located LED without compromise to Phidget or original purpose?
I have NO formal electronics or electrical background but do understand many common aspects and can follow directions or instructions when pointed in the right direction. I’m hoping someone can offer a reasonable easy work around, even if hardware is required.