Arduino vs Phidgets

Comments & issues
moroseultra
Fresh meat

Arduino vs Phidgets

Post by moroseultra »

Hi,

I have previous experience with Phidgets but none with Arduino. Actually, phidgets are all I know since I am a coder with no experience programming any form of physical object. I prefer phidgets because they allow me to utilize one of my favorite languages (C++, AS3) and communicate directly with the PC. This is also the major disadvantage: the computer is constantly required. This makes an outdoor setup far more difficult. The Arduino manual refers to "uploading" your software and attaching an adaptor.
Does this imply you may go without the host computer after you've published your app?
Does this also imply that you have restricted processing power, API functions, and memory use relative to the host computer? What about utilizing the Bluetooth version?
jdecoux
Labview Developer

Re: Arduino vs Phidgets

Post by jdecoux »

Arduinos are microcontrollers, which means they are the processor in the system. They run standalone applications, but will have greatly reduced processing power, connectivity, etc. relative to a computer you are used to working with.

Unless you really want to learn the complexities of wiring your own hardware from scratch, I would definitely recommend looking into Phidget SBC4 or Raspberry Pi to run your Phidgets in standalone applications.