Clarification on 1044 compass calibration

Comments & issues
itsalltoomuch
Phidgetsian

Clarification on 1044 compass calibration

Post by itsalltoomuch »

Hi,
We are looking to deploy quite a few 1044 in static locations with multiple per building. I've read the recommended procedure for calibrating the compass but have some questions:

1) Does the 1044 need to be situated at the location of use for the calibration to be accurate? Currently I have done the calibration elsewhere using the GPS of the location.

2) If multiple devices are to be used in a single building, can I calibrate 1 device and then take the produced compass settings and set all devices for that building (rather than individually calibrate each)? The GPS position of devices in a building only needs to be accurate to within a single building.

3) Is there a simple scripted way to do the calibration process for a lot of devices if the GPS location is known for each device?

Steve
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Clarification on 1044 compass calibration

Post by Patrick »

How important the compass calibration is depends on what you're using the compass data for.

You need to calibrate in it the location that it's going to be used, because the calibration is for filtering out nearby metallic sources.

-Patrick