Assistance with custom roaster controller shopping list

Comments & issues
zihyer@gmail.com
Fresh meat

Assistance with custom roaster controller shopping list

Post by zihyer@gmail.com »

Greetings all. I'm working on connecting a 6kg scratch built roaster to Artisan. I've been roasting coffee for 15years but am a novice Artisan user (a bit late to the modern age :lol: ). Thus far, have the following list of devices but I feel I'm off here and would love a little assistance:
  • ID: HUB0001_0 1ea 6port Hub
  • ID: DAQ1301_0 1ea 16x input
  • ID: TMP4107_0 2ea (BT, ET)
  • ID: 3560_0 2ea magnetic contact switch (hopper,dump)
  • ID: 1141_1B 1ea (15-115kPa)
  • ID: HIN4208_0 2ea (button limit switch)
The end goals are:
  • 1.) BT and ET probes available to Artisan
  • 2.) Hopper release logic switch available to Artisan to trigger roast "start" event
  • 3.) Dump door logic switch available to Artisan to trigger roast "end" event
  • 4.) Gas absolute pressure available to Artisan
  • 5.) On/Off and Reset logic switches to control Artisan state
I currently have a NodeMCU reading three thermocouples and a flame sensor with an alarm that sounds if the gas is on but flame is off/out but I'm not planning on using any of that hardware to feed Artisan. That all just displays to a 4x68 LCD display and I'm just going to leave it as-in in the control panel mounted on the side of the roaster.

After reading the product descriptions on the Hub and the 16x input, it sounds like I can connect the BT and ET thermocouples and the gas sensor to the HUB and then run the hopper and dump switches as well as the reset and off/on buttons to the 16x Digital Input Phidget. Does this sound right?

Also, is there a better hardware solution for the Artisan On/Off, start and reset buttons? Basically, I would like to reset the Artisan software and toggle it from On to Off so I can set up for a new roast without using the software directly (mouse/click). This isn't a deal breaker but, in my limited knowledge of Artisan, this seems like it would be a nice feature.

Thank you all so much and very sorry if I've left out vital info here.

Thanks!
Daryl
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Assistance with custom roaster controller shopping list

Post by mparadis »

We already spoke over the phone, but I'll summarize here in case it helps anyone reading this thread.

- The above list was missing a thermocouple interface, we recommend getting two TMP1100s, because isolated thermocouple interfaces are recommended when the thermocouples are going to be bolted into machinery that could be electrically noisy.

- All of the other devices look good connectivity-wise, but since we don't have an Artisan setup of our own, I can't confirm whether Artisan specifically supports devices like the DAQ1301 for reading switches. I usually use this page to determine Artisan support, but it's not an exhaustive list.
zihyer@gmail.com
Fresh meat

Really appreciate your help via phone yesterday. I'll update once parts are in with DAQ compatibility. Fingers crossed!
zihyer@gmail.com
Fresh meat

Looks like support for the DAQ1301 will be included in the next Artisan update expected to drop later this month. Specifically, the first 8 channels of the DAQ1301 (Commit #65ec7460dfc169ac96f4c12e11702620a7553c66), which should would fine for my application (for now :wink: ).
zihyer@gmail.com
Fresh meat

For anyone else following this thread, just fyi - my list is NOT complete. You will need a few cables: 3002_0 - Phidget Cable 60cm or the other length to connect all the 1100_0 thermocouple phidgets to the hub. Hopefully this saves someone the ~$20 or so shipping for the follow up order.