Is this a closed system?

Comments & issues
gimmetwofingers
Fresh meat

Is this a closed system?

Post by gimmetwofingers »

Or can I use e.g. an Arduino with out issues? I am looking only for a BLDC motor and controller for a bigger project and would not like to add a new control ecosystem for my project. Can I use that without a VINT hub and custom code?
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Is this a closed system?

Post by mparadis »

Phidgets can run in a closed system, but you need to have a computer as part of that system. This means using either a desktop computer, laptop, single-board computer or raspberry pi running one of the operating systems supported by our libraries (Windows, MacOS, Linux). The code for your project runs on the computer and sends commands down to the Phidgets via USB.

This means that Phidgets cannot be controlled solely by an Arduino, because Arduino boards are simple microcontrollers that aren't running an OS that can be the host for USB communication. If your Phidgets are controlled by a computer, you could still get input from an Arduino by monitoring its digital outputs using Phidgets digital inputs or something like that.

You can't use a VINT device like the BLDC Phidget without a VINT Hub, because the communication between the device and the Hub is custom communication protocol similar to USB.
gimmetwofingers
Fresh meat

Thank you for the response. So just that I understand correctly: When I want to use this motor and this controller together, I MUST use a VINT hub and CANNOT do so solely with an microcontroller?
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

That is correct. The DCC1100 is controlled with the VINT protocol, which is a communication standard made by Phidgets to provide maximum data transfer speed and minimal vulnerability to interference for our devices. There is no Arduino library for VINT communication. So you need to use a VINT Hub of some kind, like the USB VINT Hub that connects to a computer which would be running your program, or the Wifi VINT Hub that would connect over your home network to a computer running the program.
gimmetwofingers
Fresh meat

Ok, thank you again for the clarification. Would it be possible to run that motor with a third party controller?
Space is limited, so I would like to minimize additional components. The way I understand this concept is that I would need the VINT hub and a rPi in addition, plus writing an interface, which is too cumbersome.