Can not use 4A Stepper Phidget with Wireless VINT Hub

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
pedro
Fresh meat

Can not use 4A Stepper Phidget with Wireless VINT Hub

Post by pedro »

Hi there,

My problem

I want to drive a 4A Stepper Phidget STC1005_0 from Python using the Wireless VINT Hub HUB5000_0.
My problem is that every time I try to open the Motor object, I get the following error :

Code: Select all

Phidget22.PhidgetException.PhidgetException: PhidgetException 0x03 (Timed Out)
No matching devices were found to open. Make sure your device is attached, and that your addressing parameters are specified correctly. If your Phidget has a plug or terminal block for external power, ensure it is plugged in and powered.
Make sure to enable server discovery, or add the server, and to set the server password if autentication is enabled.
Here is a simplified version of the code I'm using, up to the moment when it crashes :

Code: Select all

from Phidget22(.Net) import Net, PhidgetServerType  # Parenthesis added because of your forum's external website address restriction...
from Phidget22.Devices.Stepper import Stepper, StepperControlMode

Net.enableServerDiscovery(PhidgetServerType.PHIDGETSERVER_DEVICEREMOTE)
motor = Stepper()
motor.setIsRemote(True)
motor.openWaitForAttachment(10000)
This code is basically the same as given in the code sample on the STC1005_0 product page.
Note that I'm fully able to drive a DAQ1500_0 Phidget from the same VINT Hub using the exact same setup.

What I tried

I happen to own an STC1003_1 stepper motor driver, so I tried to drive it using the same piece of code and the same VINT Hub. It was successful this time. Only the STC1005_0 version seems to be faulty.

I also checked the Phidget22 Control Panel, my STC1005_0 appears there as "Unsupported VINT Phidget". The STC1003_1 was detected and displayed in this panel as expected.

I'm out of options to further investigate this problem, and I tried to make sure I double-checked everything already.
Do you have more insights on what could be going on ?

My setup

Python: 3.10.12
Phidget22 (python): 1.17.20231004
libphidget22 (and -dev, extra, networkserver): amd64 99:1.17.20231004-1ubuntu~22.04
Connection from the PC to the HUB: ethernet (PC as host)
HUB5000 hardware version: 100
HUB5000 firmware version: 1.0.57
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Can not use 4A Stepper Phidget with Wireless VINT Hub

Post by mparadis »

Since the STC1005 is a newer device, it sounds to me like the firmware on the HUB5000 is just out of date.

Go to the HUB5000 User Guide and scroll down to the advanced topics and click on "Updating the OS and VINT Hub Firmware".
pedro
Fresh meat

Re: Can not use 4A Stepper Phidget with Wireless VINT Hub

Post by pedro »

Thanks a lot for resolving my issue. It works now !