Questions on running Linux Command Line Calibration Program

Supporting 2.6 and up
lugarte
Fresh meat

Questions on running Linux Command Line Calibration Program

Post by lugarte »

I hope this is the right topic to post in, I have questions about running the website-provided Compass Calibration Program for Linux using the 3 axis rotation.
I'm using a Phidget1044 on a robot that is small and light enough to be rotated around 3 axes when it is in water. I have installed the Command Line Compass Calibration Program for Linux and am able to run it, but want to be sure I understand the instructions before attempting to run it in the water.
In the README, the instructions for calibration for 3 axes are "For the three-axis calibration the board needs to be rotated in all three axes.". Does this mean we just rotate it about each axis? Should we rotate it about each axis one or multiple times? Is there any particular order it needs to be done in?

Thanks,
Lucie
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Questions on running Linux Command Line Calibration Program

Post by mparadis »

Just slowly twist and turn the 1044 around, roughly tracing a sphere in the air with the edges of the board. Repeat for 30 seconds or so in order to get a good calibration. If you download the C# version of the compass calibrator program, it gives you a visual of the sphere to better illustrate what's going on during this calibration.
lugarte
Fresh meat

Re: Questions on running Linux Command Line Calibration Program

Post by lugarte »

Sorry for my late response, I just saw this reply! Thanks so much for your answer, I saw a screenshot of the C# version in the user guide (I'm running on Linux so I don't think I'm able to actually run that version?) and have a better idea of what I should be going for. Have a great day/weekend!