1063 Bipolar controller

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
johnebbinghaus
Phidgetsian

1063 Bipolar controller

Postby johnebbinghaus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:14 am

I have about 12 small bipolar stepper motors from old floppy drives I'd like to use to run a small heliostat. Is it possible to use the 1063 to drive more than one motor at a time? They'd all be stepping the same amount. Just thought that it was excessive to use a controller that could drive a huge motor to control these tiny units.
Thanks, John in Denmark

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: 1063 Bipolar controller

Postby burley » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:22 am

Theoretically this is something you can do though it is not recommended. You need to be very careful that you do not overload the 1063.

Alternatively, how many wires do they have? Some bipolar motors (6 and 8 wire variants) can actually be used as unipolar motors, you would only be able to get half the rated torque, but other than that they would function normally. This would allow you to use the 1062 which can control up to 4 motors at once.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

iwatkins
Fresh meat

Postby iwatkins » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm awaiting delivery of a 1062 to run four steppers, to build a coeliostat (two mirror heliostat to direct the beam into a bench mounted SolarScope without field rotation).

I.e. Two axis control on two different mirrors.

Should work fine, the sun only moves at 15degrees an hour, so a stepper with gearbox or gear set of some sort will help keep the speed down.

Do you plan to run open loop? I.e. just run the motors at a fixed rate? Or closed loop with some sort of sensor to actually track the sun?

Cheers

Ian

fraser
Engineering

Postby fraser » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:52 pm

as long as you are using small motors like you say it would not be an issue.

We have seen someone drive a 6-wheel'd rover on 2 stepper controllers (3 stepper motors per controller per side). So it is definitely do-able.

johnebbinghaus
Phidgetsian

Postby johnebbinghaus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for your replies!
Brian: these are VERY small 4-wire motors, the ones from floppy drive and CD drives.
Ian: I've got applications for both open and closed. I'll do the fixed rate and a timer first.
Fraser: Great to hear! The question really is: can I run steppers in series/parallel.
Thanks again for your time and effort!

Return to “All Other Phidgets”