Error in Windows Application log

Comments & issues
scsm
Phidgetly

Error in Windows Application log

Post by scsm »

When Phidget Management starts (as part of Windows 10 startup), it logs an error in the Windows application log against the Bonjour Service.

Bad service type in ._phidget22server._tcp.local. Application protocol name must be underscore plus 1-14 characters. See <http://www.dns-sd.org/ServiceTypes.html>

Just wondering why this occurs.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Error in Windows Application log

Post by Patrick »

I think you must have an old version on Bonjour installed. That limit was increased to 1-15 characters ~15 years ago.

-Patrick
Steve
Phidgetsian

Post by Steve »

I am getting the same error(s).

'Bonjour Print Service for Windows v2.0.2' was sourced from 'https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?locale=en_US'. per the recommendation at 'https://www.phidgets.com/docs/Phidget_N ... #Windows-0'.

It appears that the page at Apple was last updated on June 3, 2010 so quite old by now of course.

Is there a newer version of Bonjour that may be had from somewhere else?
nbillo
Fresh meat

Post by nbillo »

Hi Guys, and anyone in support,

I've been getting these application errors ever since I've been using networked Phidgets, and these errors seem to be creating hardware issues the more Windows 11 is improved and updated.
Having to use this outdated apple software generates hundreds of application errors and they're all linked to networked Phidgets hardware.
I'm getting spurious motor control issues whereby motors seem to operate opposite each other and it looks like it's linked to the apple Bonjour software. With this apple software being so old and outdated now, isn't there a more up to date utility that can be used for networked hardware?
Could this be looked into?

Kind Regards

Nigel
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

A replacement for the reliance on Apple Bonjour is definitely on the todo list. It's not trivial to move to an alternative for various reasons.

The latest Bonjour from Apple is newer than the version that should produce these error messages, however a lot of software embeds Bonjour or mDNS support, so I wonder if it may be an older version of Bonjour from some other software, or even Windows itself, producing the errors - I have not been able to reproduce this on my machine.

As for messages in the Windows event log causing issues with motors - this doesn't really make any sense to me. Can you elaborate on exactly the problem you are seeing?

-Patrick
nbillo
Fresh meat

Post by nbillo »

Patrick wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:48 pm A replacement for the reliance on Apple Bonjour is definitely on the todo list. It's not trivial to move to an alternative for various reasons.

The latest Bonjour from Apple is newer than the version that should produce these error messages, however a lot of software embeds Bonjour or mDNS support, so I wonder if it may be an older version of Bonjour from some other software, or even Windows itself, producing the errors - I have not been able to reproduce this on my machine.

As for messages in the Windows event log causing issues with motors - this doesn't really make any sense to me. Can you elaborate on exactly the problem you are seeing?

-Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for replying back to this thread.

Unfortunately, the latest Bonjour from apple is v2.02 dated back to 2010 and there isn't any further updates to this version that I can find. There is an option of a supposedly v3.1.0.1 but this is still v2.02.
Anyway, from the attached screenshots, you can see the errors are still very much active.
I have a FDS motorised throttle which is part of my flight deck and utilises Phidgets motors and control. I've noticed the two throttle control levers work opposite each other which should never happen, especially when the auto throttle is engaged. Each throttle is driven independently and mechanically linked to separate stepper motors.
I'm not saying the errors created from the Bonjour software are directly responsible for this unusual behaviour, but it is getting a more frequent occurrence and there does seem to be more generated errors the more Windows is updated and improved.
It's very good news you are looking to replace the Bonjour software for networked devices. I can only hope this can be sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, the Phidget hardware used in these throttles only utilise a network connection, so it's very important this interface isn't compromised in any way.
From the attachments, I've highlighted different errors.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Attachments
Throttle.jpg
(228.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bonjour Error3.jpg
(488.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bonjour Error2.jpg
(253.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bonjour Error.jpg
(199.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

In the meantime, can you uninstall any bonjour from your system and install this newest version: https://www.phidgets.com/downloads/misc/Bonjour64.msi

Let me know if you are still seeing the errors.

-Patrick
nbillo
Fresh meat

Post by nbillo »

Patrick wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:52 pm Hi,

In the meantime, can you uninstall any bonjour from your system and install this newest version: https://www.phidgets.com/downloads/misc/Bonjour64.msi

Let me know if you are still seeing the errors.

-Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the link. It does indeed work without any errors (see attached jpeg) which is good news.
Service starts okay and my networked Phidgets are all recognised.

Hopefully, this will have fixed my issues.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Attachments
Bonjour No Errors.jpg
(353.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet