DCC1100 firmware upgrade from 121->130 potential problem

Comments & issues
nm17
Phidgeteer!

DCC1100 firmware upgrade from 121->130 potential problem

Post by nm17 »

I was upgrading today one DCC1100 from 121->130 (using Phidgets drivers 1.9.20220203).

The upgrade failed and I power cycled the board, computer, usb few times and it failed another 6-7 times. When it failed it went into 'I have got a VINT' device here and tried to restore to firmware 130.

So, I thought maybe it's an issue with 130 and tried manually restoring to one of the 100 firmware but failed. Ultimately I managed to restore to 120 then upgrade to 121 then to 130.

The reason I am writing this is that I never had firmware update fail so many times in a row so I wanted to share in case others have a similar issue.

I will send you the log files separately as they are quite large (lots of error messages in verbose mode).
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: DCC1100 firmware upgrade from 121->130 potential problem

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

For self-powered VINT devices, it's sometimes necessary to power-cycle them manually if a firmware upgrade fails - for hub-powered VINT devices, the control panel will power cycle the hub port itself during the upgrade. I think you probably tried this though.

Definitely having the Hub at the latest firmware can help with stability.

I see a lot of detached errors - could also be EMI issues, or a bad cable or something.

It may help to disconnect any motors, encoders, etc. in case the state of the GPIO while running in the bootloader is causing a power draw or something, and resetting the board.

Maybe try detaching other VINT devices during the upgrade - shouldn't really be necessary, but they could be busying up the VINT bus and slowing down the upgrade.

-Patrick