Beginner Question

Comments & issues
Michael
Phidgetsian

Beginner Question

Post by Michael »

Hello,

I have a question regarding getting started with Phidgets. I just received my Phidget 4x thermocouple sensor and the hub, and I'm just getting started with the coding but visual studio and my program aren't recognizing the Phidgets libraries that I'm trying to import. There's a picture attached to show what it looks like. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Mike
Attachments
Capture.JPG
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Beginner Question

Post by mparadis »

Hi Mike,

It looks like you don't have the Phidgets Python Module installed.
Go to this page and follow the instructions for installing it either via PIP or manually.
Michael
Phidgetsian

Post by Michael »

Thank you for your reply! Do you mean this Phidgets module in the attachment? If so, this is installed and running already on the computer, but I have a feeling I still don't have it.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

Python uses modules to give your program specific function (math, graphing, Phidgets, etc) just like other languages have include or header files. Python has an official repository for these modules, kind of like how Linux has an official repository for software you can download for it. You can install modules from the python repository using PIP. Alternatively, you can install it manually by downloading it and installing using the python command. The link in my previous post explains step by step how to do either method.

The image you posted is the Phidget Control Panel, which is our Windows diagnostic tool which has nothing to do with python specifically.
Michael
Phidgetsian

Post by Michael »

My python version is 3.7 so it should have the PIP automatically right? I guess it probably doesn't. I just tried the manual prompt to install it. I got at error message saying

"Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: Access is denied....."
Michael
Phidgetsian

Post by Michael »

I have fixed the problem actually now. Thanks!