windows 10 64 bit, install does nothing

Comments & issues
gelliott25
Fresh meat

windows 10 64 bit, install does nothing

Post by gelliott25 »

I downloaded the installer to a brand new windows 10 machine,
C:\Users\gelli\Downloads\Phidget22-x64_1.6.20200921.exe
when I double click or try Run as administrator, the installer GUI does not show up, instead the installer exe is deleted.There is a message box but it flashes by too quick to see.

I have run phidgets on a different windows 10 machine for a year now.
I am trying to duplicate that python and phidgets system on the new machine.

Other windows installs are working fine, including python
Attachments
windowssystem.png
gelliott25
Fresh meat

Re: windows 10 64 bit, install does nothing

Post by gelliott25 »

follow up: I tried the older installer: Phidget22-x64_1.5.20191113.exe from my other machine and it worked fine on the new machine.
When it launched the Phidget control panel, it offered to update to the newer version. That update failed.
See image:
Attachments
updatefailed.png
fraser
Engineering

Post by fraser »

Can you confirm if this installer works on a different computer if you have one? I am able to run the installer fine here. That looks like a system error rather than an error from our installer. In the meantime we can take a look for any problems.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Do you have any anti-virus software installed? I'm wondering if it's being falsely quarantined or something (especially as it's being deleted).

-Patrick
gelliott25
Fresh meat

Post by gelliott25 »

yes, I figured out that McAfee was on the machine (new HP desktop installed an unwanted McAfee). I did not notice until I installed XAMPP and tried to run mysql. When mysql did not start I got serious about looking for crapware, and found McAfee. Uninstalled that, and then reinstalled XAMPP, which then ran fine, and then ran Phidgets control panel,and allowed it to try to update to 1.6.2xxxx, which was successful.
Whee! My phidgets tasks are running now.
Might be worth noting in the Windows instructions that an AV program might interfere with the installer. I wonder why 1.5xxx install was not blocked?