happy beehives with phidget

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
beekeeper21
Fresh meat

happy beehives with phidget

Postby beekeeper21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 am

Hello,
I'm a french beekeeper, and i want to follow the weight, temperature and hygrometry of several hives, with datalogging.
But, i'm not very good in programming... My duster yes, but not me.
Following weight could be very helpfull for beekeepers, because it could detect easyly some issues with the swarm.

Do you think flowbotics app could help me. In order to run a system without programming?

Who could help me for that? I ship honey pot across the ocean If somebody help me!!

Bye, Nicolas, normandy!

frodegill
Phidget Mastermind

Re: happy beehives with phidget

Postby frodegill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 am

beekeeper21 wrote:I'm a french beekeeper, and i want to follow the weight, temperature and hygrometry of several hives, with datalogging.
But, i'm not very good in programming...

If all you want to do is log difference in weight, temperature and humidity, the code required for Phidgets is extremely simple. Are you up to the rest of the task (getting wired sensors into the hives, connecting the wired sensors to Phidget boards, connecting the boards to a computer and connecting the computer to power and network, everything protected from the elements)?
If so, I am sure quite a few of us here would participate in a coding challenge..

beekeeper21
Fresh meat

Postby beekeeper21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

Yep, no problem for the hardware part. I know where to put the sensor, and how to do the balance.
But i have a question. Do The system always needs a working pc, or could it be autonome?

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 am

The system could effectively become autonomous if you use a single-board computer such as the PhidgetSBC3.

kahht
Phidgetsian

Postby kahht » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:00 am

You won't be able to use FlowBotics with an autonomous system like the SBC. The SBC primarily supports programs written in C and Java (check out this video).

There are a few resources online (some of which offer code samples) that you could modify for your purpose. I'd recommend:
* How to log to USB flash drives
* How to set up simple home automation
* And there'll be a series of posts about weatherproofing Phidgets soon.

Hope that helps!

frodegill
Phidget Mastermind

Postby frodegill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:36 am

kahht wrote:* And there'll be a series of posts about weatherproofing Phidgets soon.

That is something I'm looking forward to!

And to add to the already provided information about autonomous systems:
Phidgets requires a normal computer. A good choice is the SBC3, but SBC3 is nothing more than a computer with a USB hub and a Phidget InterfaceKit 8/8/8. Alternatives might be a Raspberry Pi, but then you would also need the IK 8/8/8 and, because of the nature of the RPi, also a powered USB hub. You may add a USB WiFi (or Bluetooth) dongle for wireless transmission. You can run the SBC3 on anything between 6V-15V, so a decent 12V boat/car battery will probably keep it running for quite a while.

And finally a dream: Imagine Phidgets powered by one of these and transmitting data using one of these, but still providing the ease of Phidgets and the Phidgets API...

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am

your dream is my reality

Return to “Phidgets”