Stepper controller card -idea

What do you need Phidgets to do for you?
zorro55
Phidgetsian

Stepper controller card -idea

Postby zorro55 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:42 am

I would really like to have this kind of stepper motor controller:

A card somewhat similar to "1062_0 - PhidgetStepper Unipolar 4-Motor", but with some differences:

1 - Much higher maximum stepping frequency (like 100 kHz) and ability to use "microstepping" with motors / drivers that support it.

2 - Stepper motor "drivers" not included in the card. If drivers were bought separately, it would make possible to use really big motors.

3 - Ability to synchronize motor movements accurately and compatibility with common cnc-software. Then this card could be used also for serious cnc-work.

..Is there any change to see something like this some day?

fraser
Engineering

Re: Stepper controller card -idea

Postby fraser » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 am

We would definitely like to support motor synchronization some day, but that is a major project that is not yet in the works.

By "drivers" not included on the card, do you mean simply supplying the step and direction signal externally and let the user handle all of the power?

zorro55
Phidgetsian

Postby zorro55 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:36 am

fraser wrote:By "drivers" not included on the card, do you mean simply supplying the step and direction signal externally and let the user handle all of the power?

Yes, I mean that the card would provide only step and direction signals without powering stepper motors.

Between the control card and each motor would be a seperate driver, something like this:

http://www.geckodrive.com/g210x-p-51.html

Previous driver would make possible to use motors up to "7A / 80VDC", which is MUCH more than is possible with integrated drivers.

Oh course having separate drivers would also make the system more expensive... But still I would like to have this option for more "serious" applications.

pelang56
Phidgetsian

Postby pelang56 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 am

I can 100% support this idea !

Controller card for 4-6 Steppers (like the smooth stepper card)
-enable
-direction
-steps
-2xDin

best,pe

pelang56
Phidgetsian

Postby pelang56 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:19 pm

any news on this ?

thanks, pe

Return to “Phidgets”