[solved]phidgetsbc not connecting to internet

General PhidgetSBC Discussion.
gbv
Phidgetsian

[solved]phidgetsbc not connecting to internet

Post by gbv »

Hello,

I just bought a SBC3 to make my meteo station project.
I'm following the tutorial explaining how to setup the sbc. Unfortunately, if I want to install the python package, I can't because the SBC isn't connected to internet. My computer is connected to internet with the WIFI, my SBC is connected to my computer whith the ethernet cable. I enabled the auto DHCP and SSH (mac os system). But even if I can connect to the SBC with SSH, I can't download the packages with internet.
Here is the message :
"Upgrading/Installing packages requires that the SBC have an active internet connection, which is not available. Please connect your SBC to the internet."

What should I do?

thanks for helping me.
Last edited by gbv on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King of the Lab

Re: phidgetsbc not connecting to internet

Post by erik »

This is because when you typically connect two computer together directly, they form a "link local" connection. By default, this type of connection does not allow internet sharing/forwarding to the computer that isn't connected to WiFi - in this case, your SBC.

I found this: http://www.slideshare.net/ColinLoretz/s ... i-mac-os-x, but instead of setting up AirPort as it shows in the slideshow, I assume you would change the settings for Ethernet. I'm not a Mac user, but I have done this on Windows with similar steps to bridge the connection.
gbv
Phidgetsian

Post by gbv »

Hi,

Ok, I understand the problem. This works now. However, I still can't install python.
When I type :

apt-get install python

here is the output in the terminal :

Code: Select all

root@phidgetsbc:~# apt-get install python
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Unable to locate package python
I don't understand it gives me this error if I'm connected....
erik
King of the Lab

Post by erik »

If you access the SBC web configuration interface (type its IP address into a browser), you can navigate to System --> Packages and under Settings, ensure that "Include full Debian Package Repository" is enabled.
gbv
Phidgetsian

Post by gbv »

This is working now, thank you very much.
Luke714
Fresh meat

Re: [solved]phidgetsbc not connecting to internet

Post by Luke714 »

Hello all,

I found this thread while trying to learn how to use my 1073 SBC. I'm not a CS major so I really need some baby steps here. I'm getting the exact same message as OP, but haven't been able to figure out how to solve it for myself. I have the 1073 connected to my computer via Ethernet, and a 1046 bridge input phidget connected to the SBC. I can open the Phidget control panel and see the PhidgetSBC listed, and can double click to open the interface on my browser. In the browser I can see the 8/8/8 interface kit and the 1046 bridge input listed on the Phidgets tab.

However, I'm following along with the getting started video and when I get to the part where I need to download the correct packages I get the message:

'Upgrading/Installing packages requires that the SBC have an active internet connection, which is not available. Please connect your SBC to the internet.'

What are some simple troubleshooting steps I can take? Are there any settings on my PC that I need to change in order to make this work? I have tried disabling the Windows firewall, but that hasn't made a difference. I've enabled SSH Server in the Phigets Network settings. I can see a MDNS Hostname and IP address in the control panel on my desktop, but I don't see an IP address listed in the Network status tab on my browser connected to the SBC.

Thank you for any help! I'm really facing a steep learning curve here

Luke
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

You'll need to attach your SBC to the internet - probably by plugging into a LAN port on your modem / router.

-Patrick
Luke714
Fresh meat

Post by Luke714 »

Ok, so it won't receive a connection via the Ethernet cable between the PC and the SBC? That's what looked like was happening in the getting started video when she was downloaded the C++ packages (https://youtu.be/09Z61tf-JA4)

Thanks,

Luke