Open from multiple processes

C, C++, and Visual C++
Ondrej.Janda
Fresh meat

Open from multiple processes

Post by Ondrej.Janda »

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible (using the VINT hubs) to open and attach channels (let’s say DI) on one physical hardware (DAQ1200_0) from different contexts/processes. Basically each process reading its own DI (different index).
I know it is not possible with the InterfaceKit 8/8/8, probably because the USB is blocked for the first process that asks for it, but I am wondering if anything changed with the VINT.

Thx,
Ondrej
fraser
Engineering

Re: Open from multiple processes

Post by fraser »

I believe this is only possible if you access it over the network.

Since the VINT devices are all accessed through a the VINT hub (which unless you're using a SBC, is a USB device) you wont be able to access it from two processes.
peterpolidoro
Phidgetsian

Post by peterpolidoro »

If there are multiple VINT hubs connected to the host computer, is it possible to use a separate process for each hub? Or is the communication with the devices always limited to a single process, even if each hub is a separate USB device?
mparadis
Site Admin

Post by mparadis »

If you have multiple VINT hubs, you can access each one with a different program or process. You can do this by setting the serial number of the channel before opening to match the serial of the desired hub.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

This is one of the main use cases for the Network Server. When connecting locally, latency is less then 1ms compared to a direct USB connection, and this allows you to access the same hardware from multiple processes.

-Patrick