Water Pressure

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
gkoehn
Phidgetsian

Water Pressure

Postby gkoehn » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:36 pm

I am in California. In the Drought! I may loose my water in my well.

I would like to hook up a pressure sensor to a water pipe and detect when I loose pressure. I am trying to solve the following problem.

1. Well water drops below submersible pump.
2. pump losses pressure.
3. current pressure system tells pump to keep pumping.
4. pump gets hot.
5. pump melts into well plastic side wall and renders my well unusable forever.

This is why I need a water pressure sensor.
If I knew when I lost pressure, the phidget software could send me a sms alarm and also sound a physical alarm to notify me to turn off the electricity to the pump and save my well.
I currently have a phidget LCD 8x8.
Any ideas?

gkoehn
Phidgetsian

Re: Water Pressure

Postby gkoehn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:49 am

I believe I would still need to use a Voltage/Current sensor as well.
See http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=8
I could time how long current is flowing to my pump motor ,and if it was an excessively long time, I would assume the pump is out of water.

The best mode would be to couple a Current Sensor with a water pressure sensor.
When I water the lawn, the pump runs continuous.
But then I have a pressure that is maintained and sustained.

An out of water situation would be detected by current flowing but pressure below an acceptable level or dropping.

Anybody have more ideas?

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:30 pm

There is one more obvious choice, assuming you have easy access to the pump itself. If the pump is overheating, you could use a temperature sensor to determine when it is running too hot and needs to shut down.

gkoehn
Phidgetsian

Postby gkoehn » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:26 pm

No. I do not have easy access to the pump. It would take a pump man with his crane truck to bring up the pump and work on it.

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:31 pm

I see. Well, the current sensor wouldn't be hard to find and hook up, but like you said, sustained current consumption is not a problem if the pump is submerged. We don't have any water pressure sensors for sale but I suspect that most of them will be industrial which are hard to interface into non-proprietary systems. You could lower a float sensor into the bottom of the pump, which would tell you when the water level is close to the bottom of the tank. If the pump is not close to the bottom, a float sensor wouldn't work unless you could mount it to the well wall.

gkoehn
Phidgetsian

Postby gkoehn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:36 pm

Here is the diagram of my well setup.
http://gregorys.website/phidgets/WellDiagram.jpg
Another sensor that I could use is a Flow Meter.
The pipe going between my well and the pressure tank is 1.25in plastic pipe.
If I could place a flow meter, inline on that pipe, that could be connected to my phidget, then when the pump fails, I would detect a zero flow while the current detection would be true. Any sources for a flow meter?

Another option that I could use is place a tee in the water line to home and go up to the top of pressure tank, connecting it to a outlet on the top of tank.
That way it would be like a stand pipe for water level.
What kind of floating magnetic item could I place in a 1 inch plastic pipe?
What kind of sensor could I use on phidget to detect the position of this floating magnet?
It would be awesome to be able to always detect the water level in my pressure tank if there was a way.

The pressure tank is made of galvanized metal.
Last edited by gkoehn on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:32 am

You can read a blog we wrote on flow sensors here. It lists some examples of turbine flow sensors that may work for your application.

I don't know how you would construct the magnetic float, but you can detect it using a magnetic reed switch.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 am

This: https://phidgets.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/specialized-sensor-series-2-water-quality-sensors/ talks about using a water pressure sensor with Phidgets - wouldn't that be the easiest solution, coupled with the current sensor to detect when the pump is running?

-Patrick

gkoehn
Phidgetsian

Postby gkoehn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:49 pm

That would be awesome! The blog post states
To test water pressure sensors with Phidgets, I purchased a piezoelectric pressure sensor for $25 online. Since it was a 5V sensor
, but no sources are named for such a sensor. Where did the blog article writer obtain this sensor from?
Does anyone have sources I might look up?

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:26 am

We bought that sensor from ebay or aliexpress. You can find a similar one by searching for "5V water pressure sensor".

Return to “Sensors”