Spatial 3/3/3 Usb over long distance

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
david_r
Phidgetsian

Spatial 3/3/3 Usb over long distance

Postby david_r » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:14 am

Hey!

I have the following issue: I'm using a Spatial 3/3/3 sensor over a very long distance (up to 25meters). At the moment I'm using one together with a SBC3 board that is close to the sensor and connected through a 30 meter CAT5 cable (ethernet) with the computer. Power is over ethernet. But this solution is expensive because for every connected sensor I need an SBC3 in addition and in the end I will need 9 spatial sensors... Is there a cheaper solution? Is it working with a standard usb over ethernet adapter? It has to be very reliable and precise values...

Thanks

David

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Spatial 3/3/3 Usb over long distance

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:24 pm

usb over ethernet extenders can work reliably, you will need to test with your application - we don't have a lot of experience with them but our users have used them.

-Patrick

david_r
Phidgetsian

Postby david_r » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:17 pm

okay. thanks patrick!

I chose the SBC because it turned out to be useful for my project to add others sensors through the analog inputs of the SBC.

but now I have a big issue: my spatial sensors often have a sudden and short value jump. suddenly it's a very high or low (it's even too short to read) value coming in (max/msp!). for my use this is very bad because a sound is triggerd by the sensor when the value is higher than x.but with this error the soundfile is triggered randomly evey time the problem occurs (sometimes once a minute, sometimes even less, sometimes every ten seconds). the problem seems to be gone if I only use the short standard usb cable. if I use a usb extensions cable or if I use it with an SBC (with power over ethernet) the problem appears.
I tried playing with the sample rate but that doesn't help.

could it be a power problem? is it a known issue?
would be great if someone can help because I need it urgently for a sound installation.

Patrick
Lead Developer

Postby Patrick » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:00 am

It sounds like you may be getting detaches. Something you could try to it set the sample rate to -1 before pressing start. This will set things up so that spatial data is coming directly from the underlying event and it should always be valid. Another thing to try would be to make sure the incoming value is in range before acting on it - you may be getting out of range invalid values.

-Patrick

david_r
Phidgetsian

Postby david_r » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks Patrick! Setting to -1before pressing start is the solution for me.

Return to “Sensors”