Wireless temperature sensor

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
MarkS
Phidgetly

Wireless temperature sensor

Postby MarkS » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Here's a link to a new wireless device that transmits a thermistor reading from a remote location to a base unit. What's unique about this device is that it evidently transmits the thermistor resistance read at the remote unit to the base unit, where the signal is converted back to the original resistance value. The base unit could be then connected to a Phidgets voltage divider which would ultimately provide a remote temperature reading to an Interface Kit. I'm thinking about picking up one or two (depending on price) for my boiler control project; would be nice to have an indoor temperature sensor that could be moved around the house.

http://hbxcontrols.com/wireless.php
Link: EcoSteam - Residential Steam Boiler Control using Phidgets
"Bringing 21st century automation to a 19th century home"

frodegill
Phidget Mastermind

Re: Wireless temperature sensor

Postby frodegill » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:28 am

That sure does look like a nice device.

At home I'm using two different sensor systems (connected to the same server. I can make applications that interface both). One system is, of course, Phidgets. The other is CurrentCost EnviR. The CurrentCost system has some handy wireless development boards. Would love to have something similiar for Phidgets!

MarkS
Phidgetly

Re: Wireless temperature sensor

Postby MarkS » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:38 pm

I contacted the manufacturer and the rep. Not an inexpensive device at MSRP over $200, and the reps won't sell it to you unless you're "in the industry" (presumably HVAC), and that's not surprising seeing as how it's a niche market device. OTOH, really? An SBC3 is that much!

I was interested in the failure mode of this device, and the mfr told me this: If the sensor for some reason fails [battery dead or sensor failure,] what it does is it tries to reset itself a number of times before going down to a 0F reading that it will stay at until it is fixed or batteries are replaced.

If one were interested (and could afford) more than one of these, it's possible to have more than one base/remote pairs in proximity to one another.

I might try one of these but given the cost two is out of the question.
Link: EcoSteam - Residential Steam Boiler Control using Phidgets
"Bringing 21st century automation to a 19th century home"

Return to “Sensors”