Temperature sensor / Liquid

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
gbv
Phidgetsian

Temperature sensor / Liquid

Postby gbv » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:00 am

Hello,

I already have this sensor and a phidget 8/8/8 interface.
I would like to know if this sensor (analogic) could be used with the phidget:
http://www.atlas-scientific.com/product_pages/sensors/env-tmp.html

Many thanks for your answers :)

fraser
Engineering

Re: Temperature sensor / Liquid

Postby fraser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 am

yep looks like it should work

gbv
Phidgetsian

Postby gbv » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 am

Directly plugged in one of the phidget input?

gbv
Phidgetsian

Postby gbv » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Ok I tried to plug directly the sensor in one of the input channel but without success. The values are negative and I don't know which sensor to choose in the phidget panel preferences.
I tried the 1124 temprature sensor reference in the menu selector but the slope and offset doesn't correspond to my sensor.
How should I proceed?

Should I make an electronic interfaceing like it is described for arbitrary sensors on this link:
http://www.phidgets.com/docs/Analog_Input_Primer#Interfacing_to_an_Arbitrary_Sensor

Thanks you for helping me, I'm lost...

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Your sensor will not have an entry in the advanced sensor panel, because it's a third party sensor. In order to calculate the value, check the sensor's datasheet (in the link you provided) to convert from SensorValue into degrees Celsius. Divide SensorValue by 200 to get the voltage, then convert to millivolts and use the formula in your sensor's datasheet.

gbv
Phidgetsian

Postby gbv » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 am

So you think I don't need to add a resistor nor a capacitor as described in the documentation for arbitrary sensor?
However, even if I follow your instructions, I don't know which reference choose in the phidget panel. there isn't a generic sensor field in which I could enter the technical informations related to mine...
big thank you to you for your help :)

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 am

The resistor and capacitors should only be necessary if you're experiencing noisy sensor results.

If you really just want to use the control panel example, you can select "1142 - Light Sensor" from the advanced sensor form, and use the values m = 0.256 and b = -20.5128. (These numbers were derived from the formula on page 7 of the sensor's data sheet). The result will be in degrees Celsius, even though the formula is intended for a lux sensor.

Alternatively, you can write a program to do the conversion. Your sensor should return a value of 0 to 3V depending on the temperature. For example, suppose the control panel reports a SensorValue of 240:

240 SV / 200 = 1.2 Volts

1.2 Volts = 1200 mV

Now that the reading is in mV, we can use the formula on page 7 of the sensor's datasheet:

[(1200 mV) * 0.0512] - 20.5128 = 40.9272 °C

Return to “Sensors”