sensor to detect suspended object (ball)

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
SFR75
Fresh meat

sensor to detect suspended object (ball)

Postby SFR75 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am

Hello,

I have an idea for an artistic installation. It's a video-projection on a big ball (85cm diameter) suspended from a cieling. I need a sensor to track the ball as it swings (any direction). I wonder
if I can do it with 1044 motion sensor (compass/gyro/accelometer). Am I going in the right direction and is it possible to track ball in real-time and then adjust the video accordingly ?
Here is a schema for the installation
(here is the link, because image include doesn't work on this board :(

http://www.seventy75five.com/private/misc/sketch_ball_sensor.jpg

Thanks
M

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Re: sensor to detect suspended object (ball)

Postby burley » Thu May 02, 2013 10:42 am

The most practical way to do this is with a webcam feeding some video processing algorithms. Put the webcam next to the projector and you can use software to track the ball as it moves.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

SFR75
Fresh meat

Postby SFR75 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

burley wrote:The most practical way to do this is with a webcam feeding some video processing algorithms. Put the webcam next to the projector and you can use software to track the ball as it moves.

Hello,

Thanks for a quick answer.
The thing is that the ball is not moving by itself, but there will be people swinging it around.
And then tracking the ball becomes much more difficult if there is a person touching or pushing it.
As far as I understand... no ?

M

burley
Human-Cyborg Relations

Postby burley » Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 am

I am not too familiar with tracking algorithms but I believe you should be able to focus on fairly specific parameters such as the shape and size of the ball which would be difficult to confuse with a person.
Brian Burley
403-282-7335 ext. 6003
support@phidgets.com

SFR75
Fresh meat

Postby SFR75 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:50 am

burley wrote:I am not too familiar with tracking algorithms but I believe you should be able to focus on fairly specific parameters such as the shape and size of the ball which would be difficult to confuse with a person.

Ok. Thanks! will try to see if I can do that without any sensors.

Return to “Sensors”