Rotation sensor with unlimited turns?

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
frenzy
Phidgetsian

Rotation sensor with unlimited turns?

Postby frenzy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 am

Hi

I have a control unit where I use the Rotation Sensor to set values and navigate the lcd menu structure. The users find it confusing when they adjust values since the physical position of the sensor isn't always matching the value they're adjusting.

If the previous value they adjusted left the knob at 12 o'clock, and they want to adjust a new value (which currently is very low or very high) they don't like that the value suddenly switches from either the 7 o'clock position (min) to 12 o'clock, or from 5 o'clock (max) to 12.

My guitar effects processor has solved this by showing a graphical indication of the original value, as soon as they turn an of the 8 rotation sensors from left, through the top and then right. See attached image:

http://www.phidgets.com/phorum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=331

But that same unit also has these two rotation sensors in the bottom ("amp models" and "effects") and these turn an unlimited amount, enabling you to always adjust your current value no matter if it's high, medium and low.

This is the effect I would want to achieve, but I can't do it with the Phidgets rotation sensor.

Are there any other Phidgets products I can use, or maybe some other, 3rd party components which'll easily interface with the interface kit on my SBC2?

Thanks!
Attachments
podxt.jpg
podxt.jpg (59.88 KiB) Viewed 5455 times

Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Rotation sensor with unlimited turns?

Postby Patrick » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 am

You want 1052 http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?ca ... _id=1052_0

It looks like a rotation sensor, but it has unlimited turns. It attaches to the usb ports, not the interface kit ports.

-Patrick

frenzy
Phidgetsian

Re: Rotation sensor with unlimited turns?

Postby frenzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:08 am

Ah, sweet. Thanks!

You know, I did look at that one before posting but perhaps I was tricked when I read "360 degrees" because I only interpreted that as 1 full rotation.

I had just looked at the rotation sensor, where the description said "300 degrees".

Return to “Sensors”