Looking for water depth sensor

Need a new type of sensor? Interfaced a sensor that you want to tell everyone about?
fredjonze

Looking for water depth sensor

Postby fredjonze » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:26 pm

Hi,
I need to measure the depth of water in a tank that is about 6 feet deep. I'm currently using a sonar sensor in the top of the tank to measure the distance to the top of the water, however I'm getting a lot of 'bounce' in the readings. The surface of the water is relatively undisturbed.

Does anyone know of any sources for a water depth guage that will work with the interface 8/8/8 kit?

Thanks,

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:53 pm

You could put a pressure sensor at the bottom of the tank. It might be a little pricey ($100+) since you need something that can handle liquid.

Chester

fredjonze

Postby fredjonze » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 am

Hi Chester,

Do you have any recommendations for a pressure sensor that is waterproof?

Thanks,

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:11 pm

I like the MSP-600 series. You can get them from Digikey. Here's a link to the datasheet. You probably want something low pressure (around 15 PSI)

http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Measure ... Series.pdf

Of course, this measurement technique requires installing the pressure sensor at the bottom of the tank. So, you'd have to be able to install it in the side of the tank.

Chester

fredjonze

Postby fredjonze » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Chester,

Since this is a concrete tank, with 8" walls, I guess this kind of sensor may not work...unless I can place it in a waterproof container that is weighted to the tank bottom?

Thanks,

fitchett
Site Admin

Postby fitchett » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:33 pm

Yes.. that could work. Your waterproof container would have to be kept at atmospheric pressure (doable if you sealed a plastic pipe into your container, and brought the pipe up to surface. You could also bring the wiring up through the same can.

Chester

Ricky
Phidgetly

Re: Looking for water depth sensor

Postby Ricky » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:13 pm

hello, I have the same need to measure water height in a tank except my water tank is an above ground galvanized steel tank about 8 feet tall by 7 feet in diameter holding about 3000 gallons water. Basically I want to know what percent the tank is filled. It has an inlet/outlet valve at the bottom which feeds a 1" PVC pipe. Water passes in both directions through the pipe according to whether the wells are pumping or not.

I have the phidget SBC board. It is about 100 feet from the tank to the SBC.

Is your recommendation the same?

What about this device: http://www.meas-spec.com/downloads/LM_Series.pdf?

Could either of these pressure transducer devices be installed with the same PVC pipe by using a T fitting and having the transducer off to the side? I don't want to go inside the tank and install it at the bottom and have to maintain it there.

Does this transducer feed directly into the SBC sensor input, I mean there is not an additional phidget sensor I need, right?

I have 12 V DC available and the PDF link you gave says this should work.

How many wires do I run to the tank for the sensor and electrical needs and what kind of wire should I use?

Thx

JLodge
Fresh meat

Postby JLodge » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey fredjonze,

If the pressure sensor doesn't work, you might want to consider a capacitive sensor. One of such is this Water Level Sensor. It happens to be in a watertight enclosure which I noticed you requested. Further, there are no moving parts, which leads to less complications and problems further down the road. It's relatively cheap, and as far as I know, it should work for you.

berkinet
Phidget Mastermind

Postby berkinet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm

The original post is now 6 years old, and I am sure you have addressed your needs. However, for anyone else searching this topic, you really should take a look at the Aqua Plump noted in the previous post.
    The AquaPlumb series of liquid level sensor measure liquid level in tanks, reservoirs, and in the environment, without any moving parts.

The sensing probe element consists of a special wire cable which is capable of accurately sensing the surface level of nearly any fluid, including water, salt water, and oils.

The sensor element is electrically insulated and isolated from the liquid into which it is inserted, and will not corrode over time. Unlike, other sensors, the measurement range is adjustable from a few centimeters to over several meters.

The reading is reported back as an analog voltage ranging from 0V to 3V where 0V represents the sensor not being submersed, and 3V represents the maximum water level.

You'd have to scale the output readings in your software, but that is pretty simple.

BTW, I have no relationship with the vendor.

Return to “Sensors”