Support for .NET Core?

Supporting Visual Studio on Windows
hossrod
Fresh meat

Support for .NET Core?

Post by hossrod »

Is there currently, or being planned, support for .NET Core? Most my business has moved to .NET Core. Hoping there is support for Phidgets with .NET Core.
Rbguy
Fresh meat

Re: Support for .NET Core?

Post by Rbguy »

Ya, I would also like a version compatible with .net core. I have had to convert my apps to earlier VS project formats to use phidgets. Love the modules but need UWP apps for my customers.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Yes. There is some code in the library that's .NET Framework specific that needs to be generalized, so I can't offer a firm timeline. As I add new .NET targets, they will be added to the nuget package as well.

As for UWP, I need to look into whether this will be possible because of the C library.

-Patrick
Rbguy
Fresh meat

Post by Rbguy »

Cool. Can't wait! Awesome having a Nuget package btw!
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Looks like UWP is possible only for open over network. UWP blocks direct access to USB devices.

-Patrick
Rbguy
Fresh meat

Post by Rbguy »

That's not good.

Looks like they have a pretty good setup for creating custom drivers. What setup/protocol do you use to access the device?

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windows ... s-ba5137cc
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

It may be possible by creating a UWP-only C library with a completely new USB interface, but we would have to decide if this makes sense based on how many user may actually need this. Even so, it may not be possible because Phidgets are HID-class, so we can't use Windows.Devices.Usb, but would have to use Windows.Devices.HumanInterfaceDevice which may or may not expose enough access to the devices.

At any rate, first step is adding .NET core and .NET standard targets to the .NET library on nuget. I do have this working internally. UWP works for network.

-Patrick
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Just published new nuget package with support for more SDKs, including .NET Core.

-Patrick
Jokerminator
Phidgetsian

Post by Jokerminator »

Hello,

I just registered here to post this.

I am also very interested in using Phidgets within a Universal Windows Platform App.
I am new to UWP but I am an experienced Unity ( with C# ) developer.

My plan is to communicate from/to Unity to/from Phidgets hardware via a UWP using sockets because I don't want to write a wrapper for Unity ( other hardware like servo motors ) and want to be flexible to maybe also support e.g. the Unreal Engine.

Is there anything special I need to do or consider to use the NuGet package compared to the standard library ?
( this one?: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Phidget2 ... 0.20180412 )

Best
Greetings
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

The nuget package bundles the Windows native library - it will look for the dll folder installed by the nuget package. For UWP, you will probably need to copy this folder into your AppX folder. In UWP, direct connection to USB Phidgets does not work, but you can use the Phidget Network Server to open Phidgets. For Unity, you should just be able to use the .NET library directly. You should use the .Net 2.0 library from the nuget package for Unity.

-Patrick