Need help with re-connecting VINT HUB after fault

Legacy support with Phidget21
garyb
Phidgetsian

Need help with re-connecting VINT HUB after fault

Post by garyb »

After a few hours of operation, all of the modules on my VINT HUB detach and the HUB no longer shows up on the Phidget Control Panel. The only way I can recover is to disconnect and re-connect the USB cable. I tried 4 different computers: some can run for days before a fault. It appears to be caused by a USB communication error.
Is there a software method to reset the HUB?
Patrick
Lead Developer

Re: Need help with re-connecting VINT HUB after fault

Post by Patrick »

Can you enable library logging and attach the output?

-Patrick
garyb
Phidgetsian

Post by garyb »

I started Phidget Control Panel and tested the LCD module. Worked fine. Then started the stepper. Shortly after that the LCD module (located on it's own HUB) failed. In about 1 minute, the stepper failed and all the phidget modules disappeared from the Phidget Control Panel.
Once again: This looks more like a USB problem than a issue with the Phidget modules. I would like to be able to recover from the fault without having to unplug the USB cables.
Attached is the LOG.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Phidget22Manager.log
200521 USB Test
(254.63 KiB) Downloaded 1223 times
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

Looks like you're on a fairly old install - I'd suggest installing the latest libraries, and then performing any firmware upgrades which show up.

The errors certainly look like a USB issue with you system. Since you mentioned a stepper, could be EMI. Have a look here: https://www.phidgets.com/docs/Improving ... eliability

-Patrick
garyb
Phidgetsian

Post by garyb »

Patrick,
I checked the cables and power supplies. They look good. I downloaded the latest Phidget Control Panel and updated the firmware on all of the modules.
I now get a slightly different response. Soon after I start the stepper (continuous mode) I get a "Timeout Error". The stepper continues to move and can not be stopped. (more timeout errors). The other modules (relay, encoder, temp sensor, LCD and 2 hubs) do not appear to be affected and continue working. Unplugging the communication cable from the stepper has no effect. Unplugging the USB cable has no effect. The only way to stop the stepper is to remove the power. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help
garyb
Phidgetsian

Post by garyb »

Solved!
During the test, I was using a SIIG USB Extenter. Everything worked except the VINT Stepper. When I tested the 1067 stepper, it was connected without the Extender. I swapped the SIIG Extender with a IOGEAR Extender and the problem went away. I know: I should have removed the Extender in the first place, but the Phidget modules are about 100 feet from the computer.