Only RC protocol ?

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
Jokerminator
Phidgetsian

Only RC protocol ?

Post by Jokerminator »

Hello,

For me, as a beginner, it looks like all Phidgets motor controllers only support RC protocol / PWM signal.

Are there any Phidgets I can use to control e.g. a Dynamixel servo ? ( They use for example RS-485. )

Or do you know a company selling servos like the HSR-2645CR RC servo but with two actuator arms, one at the front and another at the back for a more stable mounting ?

Best
Greetings
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: Only RC protocol ?

Post by mparadis »

You are correct; all Phidgets servo controllers use RC pulse-width signals. There is currently no simple way to use various serial protocols with Phidgets.

I haven't seen any servo motors that have an arm on both the front and rear shafts.
Jokerminator
Phidgetsian

Re: Only RC protocol ?

Post by Jokerminator »

Thank you for this information.

I am not sure if my wording is correct but what I mean by two actuator "arms" ( or horns ) is something like this in the video ( both servos have one each ) and the fourth product image on this page.

All Dynamixels seem to support this.

Well.. I really think Phidgets should create motor controllers for TTL and RS485 communiation like the U2D2.
This way we could combine the simplicity ( like the .Net library in Unity ) of Phidgets with the power of Robotis' Dynamixel! :D

Best
Greetings