RC Servo linear actuator cannot maintain stable position

Any hardware type questions or problems for all other Phidget devices.
amelia
Fresh meat

RC Servo linear actuator cannot maintain stable position

Post by amelia »

Hello,

I realized that my brand new Phidget RC linear actuator cannot maintain a stable position when the target position is around 71%.

This is my configuration:
P/N 3540_0: RC Linear Actuator L12-100-100-06-R
P/N 1066_1: Phidget Advanced Servo 1-motor
Library information: Phidget22 version 1.0.0

I am using the Phidget Control Panel. In the "RC Servo Motor Controller" window I use the motor calibration parameters provided by Phidgets:

https://www.phidgets.com/productfiles/3 ... asheet.pdf

Which are:
Min pulse width: 1000 micro seconds
Max pulse width: 2000 micro seconds
Position at min: 0
Position at max: 100

When I move the target position to a value between 70 and 72, the actuator moves to that position but instead of stopping there, it keeps extending and retracting around the target position with an amplitude of about 1 mm. This behaviour is independent of the selected acceleration, velocity or SpeedRampingStat flag value.

The actuator works fine for other target positions (outside the 70%-72% range).
mparadis
Site Admin

Re: RC Servo linear actuator cannot maintain stable position

Post by mparadis »

Sounds like there's some weird math happening in the servo motor's internal control loop. I tried to replicate your results using those numbers on my own servo but didn't see any oscillations. Have you tried changing the position at min/max to see if it affects where the oscillation occurs? For example if you changed it to 0/1000 I would expect you will see oscillation at position 700-720. What happens if you change it to 0/101?