HVAC and/or Solar Control?

markp

HVAC and/or Solar Control?

Postby markp » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 pm

(I wasn't sure where to post this. If a moderator wants to re-categorize this, thats fine.)

Has anyone used the temperature sensors and relays to completely control a home heating system? I'm planning a hydronic installation (boiler/radiators) in my house this summer, and I hate the idea of a closed consumer system to control it all. Especially with a house full of Linux systems already up and running for prototyping.

I will also be adding solar hot water to it in a year or two, and like the expandability these devices would afford.

How does the long term lifespan of these devices look? Any reason they wouldn't last a minimum of 10+ years of continuous use?

Thanks - Mark P.

GlitchBoy

Re: HVAC and/or Solar Control?

Postby GlitchBoy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Did you ever do this? I am going to embark on a similar project to control a coal stoker stove w/ baseboard backup heat. If successful, I may take on other home automation projects.

My initial concern is accessing the API from the only langauge I have sufficient experience with -- Clarion (which most people probably never heard of)

markp

Postby markp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:47 pm

No, I haven't done this yet. I'm still planning a bunch of upgrades to our house in the next few years.

One of them is a solar augmented baseboard hot water system.

I'm not as concerned about the control aspect. There are a number of products and low-power PC's out there. My biggest concern is finding a plumber who is willing to think outside the box and figure out if I can pull PEX through my old duct-in-slab system.

GlitchBoy

Postby GlitchBoy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:16 pm

Okay, please post any updates in the future. I will do the same 8)

Return to “Robotics”