Newbie to Phidgets & Labview. Having trouble with sample vi

Supporting Labview 2012 and up
mohave_steve
Phidgetsian

Newbie to Phidgets & Labview. Having trouble with sample vi

Postby mohave_steve » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Hello All,

I am just getting started with Phidgets and thought LabView looked like the simplest way to get my feet wet. I am usually fairly sharp at learning new technologies. Not this time.......

I have the 8/8/8 Interface Kit and the 1125 Temp/Humidity sensor.

When I launch the Phidgets control panel I see the values for the two sensors displaying properly on the chanels that they are connected to. If I move the sensors to different chanels the display reflects the change properly.

When I launch the Sensor Display Example I see one of the sensors displaying and a random value on one of the other chanels. Not the chanel that the second sensor is connected to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

mohave_steve
Phidgetsian

Re: Newbie to Phidgets & Labview. Having trouble with sample

Postby mohave_steve » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:39 am

Well I tried the Sensor to Output example and it appears to work properly. Now I am looking at the block diagram and trying to wrap my head around the objects and thier function. It's clear as mud....

Can anyone point me towards documentation on the examples? I am not finding any....

Thanks

Steve

mparadis
Site Admin

Postby mparadis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:30 am

We don't have documentation on the individual sample programs, but you can find a general Labview guide here.

If you want to learn the functions of each of the items in the block diagram, see our online API manual here.

As a side note, while Labview might seem like the simplest programming language, it is generally quirkier and more restrictive than other programming languages. If you're learning from the ground up either way, then you might want to choose a more popular language such as C# or Java. You're more likely to find programming help with these languages, both here and other places on the web.

mohave_steve
Phidgetsian

Postby mohave_steve » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Thank you for the response.

I am starting from scratch. I had in mind to start with C# but I had issues making the C# examples play. I thought Labview may be a better starting point for a beginner. I will give C# another shot and see if I can make some progress. My first stumbling block was "namespace for Phidgets could not be found" when I tried to debug Hello-World. I tried adding the reference to Phidget21.NET.dll but that did not resolve the issue.

I will try again and move over to the C# forum and look for a solution to that issue.

Thanks again.

Steve

Return to “Labview”