Phidget drivers for Catalina

Supporting 10.7 and up
mickatl
Fresh meat

Phidget drivers for Catalina

Post by mickatl »

Are there any drivers in the works for Mac OS 13 (Catalina). I installed the beta last week and am unable to get the Phidget software to install.
kilpatjr
Fresh meat

Re: Phidget drivers for Catalina

Post by kilpatjr »

Same here. Installing Catalina broke my Phidgets 2.1 app (as well as the demos). I tried installing Phidgets 2.2, but it can't be installed.
This package is incompatible with this version of macOS.

The package is trying to install content to the system volume. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
kilpatjr
Fresh meat

Post by kilpatjr »

Patrick,

Is Catalina going to be supported? If so, is there any sense of timeline?

Thanks!
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Yes, Catalina will be supported by both phidget21 and phidget22. I don't have a timeline, but support will definitely be ready before Catalina is released.

-Patrick
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

Looking into this, for Phidget22, it's the Phidget Control Panel which causes the installer to fail. You can choose customize during installation and deselect the control panel and the install will complete. I copied a copy of the control panel from my 10.14 macOS install, and it runs properly on 10.15, so I just need to track down the installer issue, but this should at least get you going with the Phidget libraries on Catalina.

As for phidget21, this is not installable at all on Catalina, and won't be until it's updated with Notarization.

-Patrick
kilpatjr
Fresh meat

Post by kilpatjr »

Thanks, Patrick.

<update>
Installing the Phidgets22 package fixed my Phidgets21 app (which embeds the .framework and does not reference the one installed in /Library/Frameworks). ¯\ _(ツ)_/¯
</update>

I haven't yet managed to get my Phidgets 2.1 app working on Catalina yet, but I did get some time to dig in a bit. When I run TemperatureSensor-simple.c, here's the output:

Code: Select all

$ cc -o TemperatureSensor-simple TemperatureSensor-simple.c  -framework Phidget21 -F/Library/Frameworks -I /Library/Frameworks/Phidget21.framework/Headers && ./TemperatureSensor-simple 
ld: warning: building for macOS, but linking in dylib file (/Library/Frameworks/Phidget21.framework/Phidget21) built for 
Waiting for TemperatureSensor to be attached....Problem waiting for attachment: Given timeout has been exceeded.
Console.app tells me this a number of times:

Code: Select all

101304.371352 TemperatureSenso@(null): AppleUSBHostUserClient::openGated: could not open provider IOUSBHostInterface. provider already opened for exclusive access by a kernel client
I don't have any suggestions as to what's changed in the OS. To my knowledge, installing the Catalina public betas is the only substantive chance to the test machine.
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

The kernel extension installed by phidget22 is the same as the one for phidget21 so that's why this got phidget21 working.

-Patrick
Patrick
Lead Developer

Post by Patrick »

10.15 is supported with the latest release for phidget22.

phidget21 support is not ready yet, but will be before Catalina is released.

-Patrick
jane477
Fresh meat

Post by jane477 »

Are there any drivers in the works for Mac OS 13 (Catalina). I installed the beta last week and am unable to get the Phidget software to install.
First rule after every update - do not install it right away because it will usually break everything
I wait for a month or to and only then update my system
aswdaaw